The hottest season of the year is here! If it’s burning hot to play outside, why not stay indoors and have fun cooking activities with your child? After all, encouraging our kids to eat healthy and heartily through fun recipes isn’t only great for bonding, it’ll benefit their growth and development too! HeyMom lists down a few effortless and unique recipes that you can prepare for your little ones, or make with your growing kids. Have a blast playing in the kitchen with your kids with these and see them enjoy eating your creations!
1. FRUIT SALAD ICE POPS
This colorful and fruity ice pops recipe doesn’t only beat the smoldering summer heat, it’s also packed with the goodness from fruits and milk your kids will love!
2 cups fruit cocktail (drained from a can) or fresh fruits in season
1 box all-purpose cream
¾ cup condensed milk
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Place fruit salad mixture in popsicle molds. You can also use small plastic cups.
3. Put popsicle sticks in the middle of the mold. For plastic cups, cover them with plastic cling wrap before inserting popsicle sticks.
4. Freeze until solid.
Makes about 8 ice pops.
2. CRISPY PIZZA ROLLS
Are plain sandwiches getting old with your little one? This crunchy and cheesy recipe levels up the sandwich and makes it extra interesting for picky eaters. You can bring these yummy rolls when they’re on the go, too. They’ll have fun preparing and rolling these snacks as much as eating them.
4 slices of wheat bread
Store bought pizza sauce
2 squares ham, sliced in half
4 thick strips of cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium egg, beaten
1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs
1 cup cooking oil
1. Remove the edges of the bread slices.
2. Press the slices of bread to make them flat.
3. Spread pizza sauce thinly onto the bread slices. Place the ham, cheese, and a bit of mushroom in the middle of each bread.
4. Roll the bread slices. Secure with a toothpick.
5. Dip the rolled bread slices in beaten egg then cover with Japanese bread crumbs.
6. Heat the cooking oil in a pot.
7. Fry the bread rolls in medium heat until golden brown. Place rolls in a plate lined with paper towels.
8. Serve hot.
Photo by Stuart Miles from freedigitalphotos.net
3. CHOCO-BANANA PEANUT BUTTER SHAKE
Steer clear from unhealthy drinks to quench your youngster’s thirst in this crazy heat. Go for healthy and nourishing homemade beverages, such as this recipe! This thick, creamy, and satisfying triple treat shake is made with nutritious milk, bananas, and peanut butter that’s just right for your growing child.
2 pieces medium frozen bananas
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons peanut butter
3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1/2 cup ice cubes
1. Put all ingredients in an electric blender.
2. Blend until ingredients are combined and smooth.
3. Pour into a glass. Add whipped cream and your choice of sprinkles, if desired.
Makes 2 servings.
4. FRUITY S'MORES DELIGHT
Once your child has had his fill of a healthy meal, you can both make this S’mores recipe for his treat! It’s tweaked to be nourishing with the addition of fruits.
12 mini square graham crackers
6 pieces chocolate squares
6 pieces marshmallows
6 pieces sliced bananas
6 pieces sliced strawberries
1. Arrange 6 graham crackers by topping each with a chocolate and a marshmallow. Place in a microwave safe plate.
2. Heat in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
3. Remove from microwave and top each s’more with a banana and strawberry. Cover with the remaining graham crackers.
4. Serve Immediately.
Bond with the little ones and celebrate summer with these appealing and nutritious recipes! It’s a great way to build their healthy appetite, all while having fun with moms and dads in the kitchen. Try tweaking and mixing more recipes up to make your kids look forward to every meal. Don’t forget to share with us your creative creations in the comments section!